Cotswold Canals Restoration - Phase 3
The Phase 3 restoration section of the Cotswold Canals is between Brimscombe Port, near Stroud, to Gateway Bridge in the Cotswold Water Park.
Some of the restoration achievements to date on this section include:
- Coates and Daneway Portals of Sapperton Tunnel
- Wildmoorway Lower Lock (structure only)
- Halfway Bridge, Ewen
- Towpath improvements
- Cowground Bridge, Siddington
Some significant challenges on this section of the canal include:
- restoration of the 2.2 mile long Sapperton Tunnel
- replacement of the demolished aqueduct near Ewen
- the number of locks to be restored on the ascent from Chalford to Sapperton Tunnel
- reinstatement of two railway bridges in the Stroud Valley
The length of the Phase 3 restoration section is about 16 miles.