In common with the other locks in this section, it is in very poor condition.
Also known simply as Siccaridge Wood Lock (ie. without the 'Lower').
This lock featured a side pond that stretched from Siccaridge Lower to Bathurst Meadow Lock. This was a way of saving water during lock operations and, probably more importantly, reduced the chances of the very short pound between the locks running dry.
There is spill weir incorporated into the masonry of the approach to the lock on the towpath side leading into a funnelled culvert. This would have carried excess water from the canal around the lock, to prevent it flowing over the lock gates.
Siccaridge Wood Lower Lock is part of the top flight up to the summit level. It is one of those on the canal designed to take craft up to the standard dimensions of the Thames barges. It is a little over 90 feet long and about 13 feet wide. It had a rise of 8 feet. It was also one of the locks shortened in 1840-41 by about 20 feet by throwing an arch across the top end of the lock and re-siting the sill and the gates. This was to reduce water consumption in the locks and was possible because by this time shorter ‘long’ boats had replaced the Thames barges on this section.
The chamber is mainly brick lined – with early and later brick - but there are also some sections of stonework and a substantial stone coping and stone-edged recesses for the gates. It is likely that the chamber was originally stone-lined. There are two sets of recesses at the top end of the lock, one for the original gates and the other the result of the shortening of the lock. Much of the ironwork seems simply to have been reset.
(Tap / click images to enlarge)