This is eastern extent of the Phase 1B restoration section.
The original railway bridge was first in use when the broad-gauge railway between Bristol Temple Meads and Gloucester opened in 1844. The bridge was a steel 'plate-girder' construction with a span of about 9.1m (30ft) and was supported on brick or stone abutments.
In 1968 the bridge was removed and replaced with the section of embankment we see today. This encompasses a small culvert for canal water and a pedestrian foot tunnel. The bridge was removed because British Rail (forerunner to Network Rail) decided it would be expensive to repair, and that its removal provided a better value option.
It is expected that the replacement bridge, which forms part of the Phase 1b restoration programme, will be in place by the end of the first May Bank Holiday weekend in 2021, following a 3-day line closure. (Re-instating the canal channel and towpath will take longer though.)
A CCiP picture of the proposed new bridge, which has been derived from a Network Rail planning drawing, can be seen below.
(Tap / click images to enlarge)