This is eastern extent of the 'Cotswold Canal Connected' or Phase 1b restoration section.
The original railway bridge was first in use when the broad-gauge railway between Bristol Temple Meads and Gloucester opened in 1844. The bridge was a steel 'plate-girder' construction with a span of about 9.1m (30ft) and was supported on brick abutments.
In 1968 the bridge was removed and replaced with a section of embankment. This encompassed a small culvert for canal water and a pedestrian foot tunnel.
The bridge was removed because British Rail (forerunner to Network Rail) decided it would be expensive to repair, and that its removal provided a better value option.
A new bridge was constructed over a seven-day period between Christmas and New Year in 2021-22.
Re-instatement of the canal channel and towpath was completed in May 2022 and the bridge was officially opened on May 23.
(Tap / click images to enlarge)