Also known known as Moor Street Bridge, it was originally a hump-backed bridge in brick. In 1854 this was replaced by a swing bridge to improve navigation. After the closure of the Stroudwater Navigation in 1954, the swing bridge was replaced with the present structure.
'Old Stroudwater' is a term that has been adopted to describe the section of the canal between Saul Junction and Upper Framilode.
Before the opening of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, this was the route taken by the Stroudwater Navigation to connect into the River Severn.
Some of the canal in this section is now infilled, and locking into and navigating the river at Upper Framilode, which is also tidal at this point, could be somewhat hazardous. For these reasons, it is unlikely that this section will be fully restored through to the River Severn.