Inglesham Bridge is at the tail of Inglesham Lock and is the last structure on the Thames & Severn Canal heading east. Inglesham Roundhouse is adjacent to the bridge.
The bridge is a standard Thames & Severn Canal company designed accommodation bridge – but built in stone. The bridge has a segmental arch springing from wedge-shaped stone springers. The wing walls are built with an inward ‘batter’ and curve outwards from the arch to end in pilaster terminals.
The parapet masonry is contiguous with that of the wing walls and is level over the arch but then slopes gently down in a straight line on either side. It is topped by a plain stone coping, pierced by iron spikes.
The keystone on the east side bears the date November 14 1789 and the Roman numerals LVIII (58) on the other – possibly the number of bridges along the route when opened.
(Tap / click images to enlarge)