Daneway Wharf Cottage is visible in the left of the photo above.
This is a standard Thames & Severn canal company designed bridge where the towpath changed sides. It seems to have been originally built of stone but radically repaired in brick. The bricks are handmade and of a dark red colour, laid to a fairly irregular English bond. The bridge has a segmental arch springing from wedge-shaped stone springers and is protected by a simple projecting dripmould.
The wing walls are built with an inward ‘batter’ and curve outwards from the arch to end in pilaster terminals. The parapet structure is contiguous with that of the wing walls and spandrels rather than being of a separate construction. The parapet is level over the arch and then slopes.
The infilling of the canal starts just beyond the bridge on the Daneway Inn side.
This 1904 view shows Daneway Basin Lock, Daneway Bridge and Wharf Cottage.
The bottom gates of Daneway Bridge Lock can be seen through the bridge arch.
Daneway Inn is the building in the top left, with the entrance to Daneway Basin just beyond the lock to the right.