Cotswold Canals in Pictures

Header Image

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock, Eastington. View towards Stroud
(Click on images to enlarge)

This lock has been partly restored by the Cotswold Canals Trust.

This was an original lock of the Stroudwater, designed to cater for Severn trows and was about 16 foot wide and 68 feet long. The lock had a rise of 7 feet 5 inches.

It was the middle lock of the five in the Eastington flight, built in 1777, and has also been known as Turnpike Lock and the name was simply shortened. The chamber is lined in brick, with stone capping and stone quoins to the ends and the gate recesses.

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock and Bridge, view towards Saul

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock stop planks & upper gate recesses

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock top gate recesses

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock with Blunder Lock in distance

Pike Lock Spill Weir

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock Spill Weir

Before Partial Restoration

Pike Lock, Eastington

Pike Lock in 1986, view towards Stroud