Whitehall Bridge seems to be a standard Thames & Severn canal company designed brickbuilt accommodation bridge. The bricks are handmade and of a dark red colour, laid to a fairly irregular English bond. The bridge has a segmental arch springing from wedge-shaped stone springers and is protected by a simple projecting dripmould.
The wing walls are built with an inward ‘batter’ and curve outwards from the arch to end in pilaster terminals. The parapet brickwork is contiguous with that of the wing walls and spandrels rather than being of a separate construction. The parapet is level over the arch and then slopes gently down in a straight line on either side to the ends of the wing walls; it is topped by a plain stone coping.
Closer inspection shows several anomalies. The dripmoulds are of stone, and on the up-side of the bridge it seems that an original rubblestone bridge has been virtually rebuilt or refaced in brick. It is clearly a complex structure.
On the down-side parapet there is a simple stone plaque with the initials and date WD 1784 – assumed to be those of William Dennis, the contractor mason for this section. From 1927 until 1933 this marked the end of the canal.