Site of Midland & SWJ Railway Bridge, Siddington
All that remains of the demolished bridge is the abutment (left) in the above photo.
The Midland & South Western Junction Railway was formed in 1884 from the amalgamation of the Swindon, Marlborough and Andover Railway and the Swindon and Cheltenham Extension Railway. The line was absorbed by the Great Western Railway at the 1923 Grouping.
This section of the line used to pass through Watermoor Station in Cirencester. The line closed to passengers in 1961 & goods traffic in 1964, and therefore presents no obstacle to any future canal restoration at Siddington. Note Siddington Third Lock in the background.