All 5 original roundhouses on the Thames & Severn survive. This is the only one that is derelict. The roundhouse belongs to the Bathurst Estate.
In common with Marston Meysey and Inglesham, this roundhouse had an inverted roof which was used to collect rain water. This has now completely disappeared, as can be seen in one of the photos below taken looking up through the inside.
This lean to was a latter addition to the Roundhouse, and served as a scullery (kitchen / utility room in today's language).
Before being Resued!
Volunteers from the Cotswold Canals Trust, with the permission of the owner, later removed the ivy and made a number of minor structural repairs.
The doors were also blocked-up to keep people out of what is, internally at least, an
potentially unsafe structure.
The roundhouse, built in 1790, provided tied accommodation for a canal maintenance man. Workmen in the middle distance appear to be re-puddling the canal with clay to repair leaks.
The date of this photo is listed as being taken between 1860-1922. It was probably taken during the period of the County Council restoration in the first years of the 20th century.
Skew railway bridge can be seen in the distance, and the structure in the canal next to the roundhouse is a stop-plank point.